|Tested an average of 72 customers outside of our annual user conference each year||Led the team in implementing a unifying design language to bring together products from four separate companies.|
|Worked with Karen Holtzblatt and her colleagues at two different companies over three independent projects performing contextual inquiries||Hired six interns, bringing four into the organization full-time while mentoring them in learning and understanding enterprise software|
|More than eleven years of experience designing for SaaS software; led design interaction for a first-generation SaaS product.||Designed and managed a design team responsible for a site that reached Five Million Monthly Unique Visitors at FamilySearch.org|
|Collaborated on a communication plan to gather and disperse the user research findings to more than 20 development teams||Familiar with and actively using four different prototyping and testing tools. Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator and XD), Sketch, Figma, and InVision|
HealthEquity, Draper, UT
Director of User Experience
2019 – PRESENT
- Built a User Experience team that transformed the member and client portals for one of the most significant health and wealth companies in the US.
- Spearheaded the accessibility effort at HealthEquity, ultimately resulting in 90+ fewer errors per page, helping build a more accessible and inclusive product.
- Led efforts to define and refine the HealthEquity Tyrian Design System.
- Improved the average review score for our mobile app from below two stars to above four by redesigning access to account balances, investing, and scanning for eligible FSA products.
- Drove vision and the redesign of a unified member portal experience supporting over 12 million accounts.
- Mentored a team of recruits through a continual improvement program, helping them succeed in a complex and diverse development environment.
Ivanti, South Jordan, UT
UX Principal Architect and Manager
2014 – 2019
- Co-managed an international UX guild of 16 designers at 7 locations in 4 countries. Ivanti asked me to promote a design-first mentality and re-establish trust in the User Experience team.
- Collaborated with engineers in an agile, fast-paced environment to design adaptable, functional, and engaging software.
- Created a safe, encouraging environment where designers and researchers can inspire each other, try out innovative ideas, and learn from their mistakes.
- Mentored the next generation of UX designers. I managed six different interns and hired 4 of them into full-time positions following their internships.
- Advocated for accessibility. I encouraged all my teams to be aware of contrast ratios, screen readers, and how to use JAWS and other screen reading technology that makes the software accessible to all. We worked to meet or exceed WCAG 2.0 standards.
- Hosted a station at the Ivanti user conferences. I coordinated the work for our team as we interviewed over 50 people and conducted user research for the next generation of SaaS software.
- Focused on making the interaction between the localization team and the UX team seamless and straightforward, taking into account the difficulties of creating strings for over 15 different languages. I have a love for language and culture and making great international products.
Usable Patterns, Salt Lake City, UT | Philadelphia, PA
2002 – PRESENT
- Consult for companies looking to improve their user experience using Agile development methodologies.
- Publish articles and reviews relevant to the User Experience industry, including a book review in Interactions; a Front Line article for Better Software Magazine; presenter at Agile 2008 and Agile Roots 2009. Usable Patterns was proud to be one of the original sponsors for Agile Roots 2009.
DISH Digital (now SlingTV), Lehi, UT
UX Manager, and Principal
- Collaborated with an incredible team of engineers to bring the next generation of over-the-top programming to TV, helping usher in a new standard in consuming entertainment.
- Established and tested users on cutting-edge, customer-facing, media-consuming software.
- Delivered a CES Best of Show product with the team.
FamilySearch, Orem, UT
UX Principal, and UX Site Team Manager
2011 – 2014
I worked on a team to rejuvenate a web application that millions of individuals use daily to research their ancestry.
- Simplify and create patterns that help teach patrons how to do genealogy, allowing them to capture vital ancestral data.
- Test patterns to verify that an aging population could easily find their ancestors and record the data.
- Use patron input to guide requirements for future direction.
Gartner Research, Stamford, CT
Principal Research Analyst with a focus on User Experience, Software Development Life Cycle, and Mobile Applications
2010 – 2011
I worked with Fortune 500 companies to help them improve software development methodologies, develop mobile strategies, create engaging user experiences, and understand the current state of mobile and web application development.
- Provided guidance to several Fortune 500 companies through dialogues on user experience, software development lifecycle, and mobile applications.
- Conducted interviews to understand how organizations are using software development lifecycle practices and how to improve them.
- Traveled and consulted on-site with Fortune 500 companies to help them understand the latest in mobile and web application development.
Burton Group, Midvale, UT
Manager, Product Usability and Design / Technical Product Owner
2006 – 2010
I helped research and develop features that improved the client experience and simplified access to Burton Group research. As head of the technical product team, we identified early on that clients wanted to find the right research, download it, and consume it offline. We released features for 1-step delivery to the inbox, scheduling a dialogue with analysts, as well as showing the benefits of Research Assistants to our clients.
- Discovered, documented, and maintained customer requirements for a top-tier information technology analyst group.
- Validated customer requirements, working to help clients retrieve strategic information for time-sensitive projects.
- Created specifications for the development team.